Wednesday, April 23, 2014

“A Quick Article for a Slow Day of Work”

Sit down. Shut up. Read your book. Mamma Gill’s in a bad mood today.

Something about climate. I’m cold. Scan room. Bianca flashes peace sign. Duck face. Wow.

Still scanning. Erin has a blown up latex glove. Crudely drawn face. Hans. Kinda scared.

“The silence begins now friends…. Yesss…”. Thanks Bianca. I don’t think I’ll ever talk again.  

One minute. Two minutes. Three. Four. Five in and Lindsay taps out.
Gill’s big girl voice, “I FINNA GET ANGRY!”  Should I be scared? Nahhh.

Scanning. Scanning. Silence. Thirty minutes until lunch.
Ben looks different… NO BEARD?? Disappointment. Tears. I refuse to talk to him again.

Snip, snip, snip. MG goin’ hard with orange safety scissors. Chris intently watching her. Such precision.

Twenty-five minutes until lunch. Grumble grumble.
New girl? Nope, just Abby actually in class.

Foot tapping. Rap, rap, rap.

Nick Bujnak. Was that a wink or a blink? Sinking. Sliding down chair. Call me?

Revelations. Ben feels lost without beard. Naked. “SHHH” from Fish-Gill.

WHAP, WHAP. Annette hit me. Questioning friendship.

Courtney with laptop, on book, on paper. Overachiever.

Megan Kerr looks bored. So does Chris.

Lindsay’s shoes like pink sun. Still can’t see.

Chris balancing book. Success. Most excitement all class.

Erin. Bridget. Whisper. Shared computer screen. They laugh. I sigh.

Twenty minutes until lunch. I like cookies.

Erin, Bridget exchange more whispers. I stare. Bridget hides. I win.

Alyssa and Annette. Drawing on desk with highlighter. Alyssa looks concerned. Annette laughs. Typical.

Is Chris asleep?

Across the hall, laughter, screams. Gill slams door.
“Annette shed a tear… she does have emotion! She does have a heart!”. False.

Fifteen minutes until lunch. Stomach hurts. Send distress signals!

Bianca plays drums with face. Lolz. Srsly?

Erin, Bridget STILL WHISPERING. Hidden behind book. Supa Sneaky.
Typing… Typing……. I got nothin’. Thanks Obama.
Still cold. Stomach clawing. A constant clatter of keys. Sooooooooo slowwwwww…

BIANCA RAISES HAND! Gill trudges over. Bonk’s hand is a dolphin when speaking.

Megan Kerr, straight back, fixed eyes on book. Full focus.
Book raised high. New levels of interest reached?
NOPE. Book hits desk. Eyes close. Maybe next year.

Is Courtney playing 2048?

Silent-Watcher Gill retreats to desk. DyKnow left unguarded. IT’S SPRING BREAK!

Ten minutes until lunch. Start the grind.

“I leave for golf at 12:30”. Chris is packed up. It’s 12:15.

I think I make Annette uncomfortable.
She puts hair on me. Out of control.

Abby face down on textbook. Nap time.

Erin pets Bridget’s hair… Stares at me… Can I leave now?

Mrs. Gill stares at floor. Or Bianca? Can’t tell.

I see a Manott twin in the hall. They wave. I wave back. Which one are you?

Five minutes until lunch. Close to tears.

Sarah has not moved. At all.

Look down. Pencil open, lead out. Annette smirks. Radical!

Time’s up! Cheers!
Quiz tomorrow. Groans.


“Buttercup’s a horse!” I’m out. Bungee –cord up backpack. Call it a day. 

No comments: