Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Scribe Notes: From a Pen's Point of View

by Annie Reuther

Hi! My name is Phil, and you are going to hear about what it is like to be in ACC English from a pen's point of view. That’s right. I said it. I am a pen. I lie on the edge of Mrs. Gill's desk every day and see what takes place on a day to day basis. 
Today the class began with a small conversation about Pretty Little Liars. All the female human beings were discussing the season finale from the previous night.  Mrs. Gill thankfully interrupted that conversation with the Morning Prayer. Mrs. Gill then began this Wednesday class with the scribe notes from the day before.  Megan started to read hers and it was as if it were a script for a play. Nick soon became concerned with the fact his name was mentioned a lot in the script. Megan then said something in her script which caused Matt to laugh obnoxiously loud…how embarrassing. 
Journals!!! The humans then took out their journals. I looked to my friends lying on the desks and they became nervous. This always seems to happen around this time. The humans will write their journals very frantically which causes my fellow pens’ heads to throb. I am always thankful I am not a part of that. The title of the journal for the day was “Lame.” It was supposed to be written about a lame superpower you might somehow receive that you don’t want. Mrs. Gill then played the song "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down. We caught a "flash" of the music video showing an old man in his underwear. All the humans seemed to get a good laugh from this before the screen went back to the journal prompt. Many of the students were very excited to read their journals today.
The first one to go was Gina. She wrote about how she received the power to make people fall asleep with the clap of her hand. The downside to this was that if she was dancing or laughing she would end up in a room full of people that were out. Drew went next. His story was something I could relate to! His superpower was he could hear the voices of writing utensils (I wondered to myself if he knew any of my friends). He wrote about how he would hear the pencils screaming when they were being sharpened (I am sure glad that I am a pen).  Michael was third. His superpower was about being able to remove his socks without removing his shoes, apparently everyone in his “Michael's World” thinks that’s amazing! Nick wrote about being able to change his skin color and how it was an advantage to not being beat up in the ghetto (Matt said racist much??). 
The next thing covered in class was the American Value group assignment (there will be a document on edline this evening for further details). Mrs. Gill wants to decorate the walls with the posters from the project so they must look good!! I then looked around the class because I heard a lot of tapping. Matt was hitting his pen on his head (for reasons that are unknown) and Michael was tapping his on his desk and many other humans were biting on their pens.  For a pen these are some of the worst things to happen to them.  I am sure that for the people around, it gets quite annoying. Mrs. Gill said one last thing before letting us get in our groups. She explained the prewrite assignment lack specific detail in some peoples work and that she needs the sense of drama in the question. 
This is just one of the days in a pens life.  Next time you chew, tap, or throw a pen think about me; pens can bleed in all colors.

P.S. Paper copy of memoir due Friday!!!! 

No comments: