Monday, November 21, 2011

God I Hope This Works... 11/21/11 Scribe Notes


Today we started class with a prayer like always, and Mrs. Gill realized that Nick and Drew are gone. After that, when we decided the scribe was me (it should ‘a been Kelly) class sort of began.  Mrs. Gill tried her best to find Kara’s scribe notes from last week, and once she did Kara went up to the front of the class and read them.  Everyone looked extremely interested during Kara’s reading, Jeff was busy chewing his nails, I think Michael was asleep…  Someone is using strategy for something.  Now Mrs. Gill is talking about comma rules, and Kelly is drowning out her comments by asking me who is scribe… It’s obviously me, since I’m sitting here typing out scribe notes.  COMMA DODGE BALL??? But it isn’t really dodge ball.  Now Mrs. Gill is saying Streetlight Manifesto is loud and obnoxious, I no longer like this class.

Instead of journaling, we have to take a previously written journal and turn it into an excellently written paper.  We could say pain has something to do with the sun, and something about points and skin cancer.  There seem to be some essay possibility, and most will fall under fiction, personal, or impersonal essays.  And poetry, but who writes that stuff?  Length is not an issue, but it should be 2 – 3 pages MLA style, which sounds like a length requirement to me.  It needs to be perfect.  Well that should be easy for me but I don’t think there are too many other perfect people in here.  After leaving the class to talk to Mr. Grasser, I return to talk of how important personal essays are.  During journaling, everyone is typing furiously but me…  I wish I knew what we were supposed to be typing about.  They were typing to some mellow song that I can’t remember the name of.

We get Wednesday to write our literary analysis essay, but Mrs. Gill decides we can take it home.  Now she wants to go over it with us and help us with writing it.  She shows us a passage from chapter 5 of The Scarlet Letter, and a prompt below it about how Hawthorne depicts Hester’s state of inner turmoil and how he shows it with types of writing like: Diction which is how something is worded, figurative language which is like non-literal types of language, syntax means word order, and we went over irony and tone last week.  Michael and Jeff are moving their heads at each other and laughing… Maybe Jeff is stealing Michael’s soul or something like that.  The chief criteria for annotating is annotate what you notice.  Man this scarlet letter stuff is complicated.  I’m not sure if I should be writing this down or not…  Hopefully not.  Jeff wants to know if this passage is the only source we will use, and it is.  What is the nature of Hester’s turmoil?  It is that she is both regretful of what she has done, but is also wistful about it, and she feels the need to be near the one she loves.  Now Mrs. Gill proves spends a few minutes trying to find some document while Roman awkwardly walks… no skips in and flies over a few desks to land in the one in front of me. 

As the class comes to a close, Mrs. Gill explains comparisons of snakes and Hawthorne, while sending us a couple documents (that she is still having issues finding).  She fails to find the documents, but promises to put ‘em on edline. No homework! (Except for me)

No comments: