Sunday, May 11, 2014

Jack's scribe notes Tuesday 5-6 period 6

Class begins and Jquelin’ won’t stop talking, like always. Mrs. Gill threatened us some, I don’t really remember, it wasn’t that effective. She then tells us that if we don’t scribe, we won’t get any points (the second threat of the class). No one seems to care that much. The class is joined today by Carly’s shadow, making the circle a weird new shape that I don’t like.
Nina says something that doesn’t make any sense, and then gets a little mad when Mrs. Gill gets confused. Mrs. Gill, alternatively known as G, continued to read Taylor’s scribe notes while chaos descended. G is appalled that all Taylor got out of Huck Finn was a pun about Mer and Mack’s names being like the river. Did I use that apostrophe right? I really have no idea what I’m doing, some people just think I do.
Mack gets up to leave, and asks some questions about the journals, you know, like when you really want to get out of a teachers room but you don’t want them to think you’re a bad student? “Oh, ya, the journals…uh huh, I did  those. Ya, man, The Princess Bride! Totally.”
Mrs. Gill tells us that we’re going to have to reformat our whole journal. I sigh. G counter complains, stating that in her day, she would have to rewrite the whole journal, unlike us who just have to type. While it’s a good point, it doesn’t detract from the fact that I now have to do work, which sucks.
Mrs. Gill tells us all to read, and thus it begins. She hands the shadow a book. The shadow looks upset and feigns a smile. Poor, poor shadow.
Mrs. Gill says she has a list of everyone who has been doing the journals wrong. Obviously, everyone wants to know if they’re on the list. Everyone shouts out to Mrs. Gill, “Am I on the list?” In the end, only Kory is. That’s not really a list, Mrs. Gill…
      Five minutes into our assigned reading time, Alex is asleep, Lucy is reading a different book, and everyone else is actually reading…I set up that sentence so I could list all the oddities occurring, but none really are. Without Taylor and Mack, the class is actually calm.
Voss is clearly asleep. Seriously, Mrs. Gill, he’s just sleeping right there, not even hiding it. Later, it will come up that Voss was sleeping in class and Mrs. Gill will probably claim to have not noticed.
For a sufficiently awkward amount of time, a few students read while Mrs. Gill stands at her podium-cart-thing and looks at her clipboard. Wasn’t there a fish in this room? I swear we had a pet or something. Now there’s just a picture of Jesus where the fish used to be. Wait, didn’t Mary Cannon kill the fish? Damn seniors.
G is now just looking at her computer with a confused and worried look on her face. She’s probably grading my journal.

Class only has a few minutes left, and Voss is still sleeping. The shadow is still on page 1, her eyes rapidly shifting from the clock by the door back to her book. (To be fair, I should probably mention that Voss woke up). 

No comments: