Thursday, January 19, 2012

Megan Robison

Response to Katrina

I don't think Salinger and I would get along. We are both very strong-willed and stubborn, and when you put two people like that together, they usually just end up arguing. Salinger was very deep and thoughtful; he hated phoniness, and he looked for a reason in doing everything. If he felt that something wasn't worth doing, he didn't do it. Like school, for example. Salinger didn't see the point of school, so he just didn't try and ended up flunking out. I, on the other hand, will do things just because. I don't need a rhyme or reason to. I do things just because they're fun, or because I'm bored. Sure, I can think deeply and profoundly when I feel like doing so, but not all the time. Sometimes its good to just switch that part of my brain off and relax. And I actually try very hard to maintain good grades in school, because I don't see the point of slacking off. My family is paying good money for me to get an education; I might as well get my money's worth.
Salinger and I also have very different ideas on society and conformity. Salinger seemed to view both as pure evil, but I really don't. Sure, there are things I really dislike about society, but it's not ALL bad. And conformity is necessary sometimes too. I mean, it's good to stand out and be your own individual and everything, but there are times when it is necessary to follow the crowd.
If I did get the chance to have a conversation with Salinger, I think I'd ask him about the war. It seems to have been a traumatic experience for him, so he'd probably have some interesting stories to tell.

No comments: